Red beans masala/Rajma masala

Today morning I was thinking what I was going to eat for my lunch when I sured beans masaladdenly remembered that I had some uncooked red beans left.
It had been long since I ate beans too,so decision made!Beans masala for lunch!It is a very easy and quick recipe.You can soak your beans
for about 1 hour,but I usually just pressure cook it for a little while longer.It is a very healthy recipe and is full of proteins.

Ingredients:
Cumin seeds
1 finely chopped onion
1 tbsp garam masala powder
2 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander powder(dhania)
3 medium tomatoes
2 small chillies(slit)
2 cups red beans
1 tsp methi powder
coriander leaves
salt to taste

Steps:
1.Wash the red beans and put in pressure cooker.The amount of water used should be twice the amount of beans.I always add a little more,because I don't want to take any risk of the water evaporating and my beans burning.
Pressure cook for about 15-20 mins.Open and check the beans as well as the amount of water.If needed,add more water.

2.In a separate pan,pour some oil.When the oil is hot,put the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.Add the chopped onions and until golden brown.

3.Add the garam masala powder and give it a quick stir.Spices can burn very easily,so add some water from the red beans to the pan.

4.Add the coriander powder and the slit chillies.Stir.

5.Add the finely chopped tomatoes and mix all well.Add some more "red bean water".Cover and let cook for 3 mins until a nice paste is produced.

6.Add the red beans and let cook for another 2 mins.

7.Garnish with coriander leaves.

You can serve this dish with rice and a fresh crisp salad.

0 comments: